Level 1 Certificate in Light Vehicle Maintenance
This course is ideal for those learners who wish to undertake a qualification which will support their progress into the retail motor vehicle industry. During the course learners will be taught about the maintenance of light vehicles and the various roles that are available in the retail motor industry.
- Health & safety practices in vehicle maintenance and good housekeeping
- Tools, equipment, and materials for vehicle maintenance
- Introduction to the retail motor vehicle maintenance and repair industry
- Spark ignition engine systems, components, and operation
- Steering and suspension systems components and maintenance
- Vehicle braking systems components and maintenance
- Vehicle wheels and tyres components and maintenance
- Vehicle exhaust systems components and maintenance
- Vehicle electrical foundation skills
- Light vehicle construction
- Removing and replacing light vehicle chassis units and components
- Inspection, repair and replacement of standard light vehicle tyres
Method of assessment
- Practical assessments
What can I progress onto?
Learners who complete this qualification can progress onto a Level 2 Motor Vehicle Study Programme or a level 2 Motor Vehicle Apprenticeship.
- Trainee mechanic
- Motor vehicle parts adviser £14,000- £18,000, experienced staff can earn over £25,000
- Vehicle sales adviser £12,000 (starting salary + commission) £15,000-17,000 (with experience + commission) £40,000 (top earners)
- Service adviser assistant